Tuesday 13 March 2018

S.H.Figuarts Freddie Mercury Action Figure Review

Here's something a bit different! When I saw this figure was announced I was surprised to say the least. As far as I was aware Figuarts only really did Anime and film stuff. They've done Bruce Lee figures too I suppose, but wow a Freddie Mercury figure? GENIUS!

Obviously the figure is based on Queen's Wembley 1986 appearance. It's a great choice for a figure, I'd love a full band set but I'm not holding my breath. Enjoy the pictures!

Sculpting and outfit: The figure has great overall sculpting. He comes with 3 different heads in total,  and all of them use the usual digital face-printing technology that S.H Figuarts employs on their figures.


I find the eyes closed, singing sculpt to be the best out of the 3 (pictured below) but it's great to have another 2 to work with.

The main body of the Jacket is a separate rubber piece to his torso, it works well and doesn't get in the way when posing him up. The attention to detail on all the buckles and things is great too.



Paint: The paintwork is very clean as always with Figuarts stuff. The yellow they've used on his jacket is bright and does the job nicely. Once again there's great attention to detail, with all the buckles being painted silver.

Under very close scrutiny from a DSLR lens the paint job on his face does suffer a tiny bit, but the figure is actually pretty small, so in person it's not noticeable really.
Bear in mind he's only just over 5 inches tall.



Articulation: He has pretty much what I've come to expect from Figuarts now, articulation that allows you to pose him how ever you want. All his joints are tight and he holds his weight well. The above poses aren't supported by a stand or anything, he just stands well in a lot of poses.

He has the usual hinged shoulders and a two ball joints - one where his neck meets his head and another where it meets his body- meaning you can get some pretty organic poses. His legs have the usual semi-circle type joint that Figuarts always use, meaning you can get a good 90 degrees. His ankles are ball jointed I think, it's hard to tell, but either way they move well. Lastly, his feet have a split in them too so you can bend the toes. Considering his small size he packs a lot.


Accessories: I guess I should count the extra heads as 'accessories'. This alone lifts the value of the figure. It's not unusual for extra heads with Figuarts and I'm pleased they continue the trend. He comes with 4 pairs of hands which are pretty small. I had to be fairly careful swapping them out, I'm sure his wrist pegs would snap with too much pressure. Lastly he comes with 2 mics (one on a stand and one detached). The mic stand is even articulated, allowing you to move the mic up and down.


Here's a pic of our Freddie with a can of Coke for scale.


Freddie being sad after dropping his mic.


Booty shot.


Overall I love this figure. I held back for a long time and almost didn't get him, thank god I did. I'm sure over time he'll become harder to get, so snap him up while the going's good. I wonder what the man himself would think about being immortalised as a small action figure from Japan?


Arty B&W shot to end the review. God rest your soul Freddie and thanks for all the music :)


No comments:

Post a Comment