Thursday 12 April 2018

1/6 QMX Captain James T Kirk Figure Review

I'm taking a look at a surprisingly good Captain Kirk figure this week. Done by QMX. I say surprising because QMX are still new to the 1/6 game and also young Bill Shatner has one of those faces that has proven fairly hard to capture over the years with various figures looking good but fairly generic.

 This figure was always going to be a must buy for me as I'm a massive Star Trek fan. Possibly even more so than Star Wars.

Enjoy the pictures.


So QMX started dabbling in the world of 1/6 figures a few years ago, after being mostly a merchandise and high end model/replica type company. They put out some Firefly figures with varying success, and given that QMX where responsible for making some pretty crazy high end Star Trek Starship models (I mean models that cost $5k-$10k) I was hoping they'd do Trek figures. The first one they released was Kirk, and damn what a way to start!

Check out the bottom of the review for pictures of QMX's Bones and Spock figures. They have also released a captains chair and a Scotty figure both of which I'll be getting and I believe a Sulu figure is also on the way. No mention of Uhura tho :(

QMX have even started releasing Star Trek: The Next Generation figures starting with Picard, but I have to be honest I'm a little disappointed with it. Enough of that though, let's look at Kirk!

We come in peace SHOOT TO KILL!


Sculpt: Safe to say I think they did a sound job capturing Kirk. I'm happy with the sculpt from pretty much all angles but I'd say there are a few angles in particular where the sculpt really shines (as per the above picture). QMX figures tend to have a look about them that lands somewhere between realistic and cartoonish. I don't know if it's intentional or not but I honestly don't mind it. The head  and hair looks great up close. 

One area that really lets the figure down though are the hands, obviously they are produced on mass from a mould but what ever process they are using the end result is very sloppy. There are lots of mould lines all over the hands, I'm not sure if my pictures really show what I'm talking about well but in person the hands kinda look grubby and lets the overall quality of the figure down a little. On a small twenty pound figure it's forgivable but one you get past one hundred pound you really shouldn't see sloppy plastic mould lines.  




Paint: The paint work compliments the excellent head sculpt and helps bring the figure to life. The skin tone they've gone for is great and applied evenly and clean. No complaints here. The detailing on the hair is top notch too, giving his hair the correct shade without looking one dimensional. The paint on his eyes are good but not Hot Toys good, they lack a certain shine that Hot Toys always manages to nail. 

The paint work on all the accessories is really well done too, given how small his Phaser and communicator is it's mad how they managed to paint even the smallest details on a fairly mass produced figure. No doubt having previously done lots of model ships helped QMX's paint dept shine in this area.



Articulation: He pretty much has all the usual articulation you'd expect, but if I had to sum him up I'd say he's more Sideshow collectables body than Hot Toys body, anyone whose familiar with those companies will know what I mean, for those that aren't basically he's very good but doesn't quite stand naturally like a Hot Toys bodys tend to. It's like some of his limbs are not quite the right length and he ends up looking awkward. 

If I was scoring him I'd definitely mark him down for having no articulation at the top of his neck, his head and neck are all one sculpted piece, meaning his articulation is reduced when getting him to look up or down. Aside from that though as I said he's fairly good, his ankles are stiff which does allow him to stand no problem for those that like to pose figures without a stand. 



Accessories: He comes with a great set of accessories, firstly he has an away mission sash (if you don't recognise it that's because the TV series ended up never using the sashes, I think you only ever saw them once or twice). 

He also has a type 2 Phaser, which actually has a type 1 Phaser built in that can be removed from the main body, just like the actual thing (pictured 2 images below).

My favourite accessory by far though has to be his communicator, which actually has a real metal flip grill like the actual prop. It opens to reveal all the detail you'd expect and the paint job is amazing, especially seeing as the communicator is literally tiny. Both the Phaser and Communicator are magnetic meaning you can attach either to the side of his trouser leg (which has a magnet stitched in). The addition of the magnets is a great idea but as with so many 1/6 figures over the years the magnets are a little weak. My Kirk's Phaser barely stays on and drops off at the slightest knock.

He also comes with his captains log and pen which is a nice touch. Lastly if you stump for the special edition you also get a Phaser Rifle. I honestly was not bothered and just got the normal edition as I felt the hike in price was not worth it. Plus I'm pretty sure I've already got some 1/6 Phaser Rifles lying about somewhere ha.




The attention to detail is very impressive. Especially the below communicator.


Coke can for scale.



I've also picked up Bones and Spock that QMX have done. I might do seperate reviews at some point but suffice to say they are about even with Kirk in terms of quality etc. If I'm being harsh I might say that Spock's sculpt is a little off though. It might be my imagination but it almost looks like they captured an older Leonard Nemoy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment