Sunday 27 June 2010

DID German SD Gestapo T.Becker 8th Anni Ver Review

DID's T Becker! Please be warned that some images contain Swastikas and could cause offence. I in no way endorse anything the Nazi Party did or seek to glorify the people involved. These models are produced purely for historical purposes and for collectors such as myself. That said, lets rock on!



 The one thing I will say is that I always just follow one rule when collecting. If the figure/replica etc is of high quality and is well done by the manufacturer then I'm sold on it, doesn't really matter what it's based on, be it a sucky film or something controversial such as historical figures etc. This is no exception and damn these models that DID (Dragon in Deluxe) produce really are of high quality. Incidentally this is the second German officer that I've bought from DID and both are superb.
This is the second version of this particular character that DID have produced. The first was of slightly lower quality but came dressed in the full Gestapo officer regalia. I much prefer this version, the face sculpt is far superior and as a bonus if you're put off by the Nazi element you can just remove the very small pin page, to look at he really doesn't really scream Nazi.


SCULPTING: *****

To be fair I'm not really sure what his face sculpt is based on fully, I know its a mix of different various real and fictional characters. Some say he looks like T Bag from "Prison Break" or whatever but I don't watch that show, so go figure. What I can say is that I love the sculpting. God he looks so evil and realistic. The head, interestingly, is sculpted in a fairly soft hollow rubber (think old style He-Man figures). It actually works really well and gives the skin a slightly translucent look. It catches the light really well too. Out of the many 1/6 models I've bought, Becker is one of the favorite sculpts I own. Up close you can make out wrinkles and slight freckles in the skin. DID have really knocked it out of the park recently with their sculpts. As an added bonus they also threw in a secondary head sculpt, again I cant quite remember what this face is from, some war film I know that much haha, what can I say I just like it.


OUTFIT: ****

The outfit is of very high quality and sits perfectly on his body. As usual with DID he comes with a variety of interchangeable clothes, firstly he has his outer leather rain mac. When looking at this model online I thought he came with a black coat but its actually dark green, it was a nice surprise and gives him a very WW2 look. He also has a suit jacket and separate waist coat. On each item there are working pockets and buttons, crazy! But that brings me to the problem to be honest, the buttons are so small and fiddly that it really does put you off swapping him about. Hot Toys often use mini Velcro or hook and catches and I really do appreciate why they do this now. Whilst removing his suit jacket to put his waist coat on, I swear to god I almost cried. For this reason I decided to remove a star from an otherwise 5 star mark.


I'll cover it more further down but thought I'd just show him posed with his rather nifty umbrella.



ARTICULATION: ****
Well the DID body is pretty good, for one thing its way cheaper than Hot Toys TTL body, but as always the ankles let it down. With the lack of ball joint it really reduces the range of movement this body has. It only allows for forward and backward tilting with a cross joint further up the ankle to allow you to rotate the foot left to right. Still, the joints are tight and hold his weight well. This probably belongs in the sculpting section but just wanted to mention his mental chest, all DID figures (in my humble opinion) have a stupidly large chest area. Sort it out DID, not everyone is built like Arnie.




ACCESSORIES: *****
The one thing companies such as DID get right is the mad amount of accessories their sets come with. I love accessories! In addition to his bonus head sculpt, he also comes with his superb umbrella, which opens just like the real thing and also conceals a hidden blade. (see the pic below). The other items he comes with are sooo tiny, yet detailed and well made. I always love that DID's accessories are often made from the correct materials i.e. wood or metal.



The handle of the umbrella is tiny little skull, as mentioned before it's made from metal.


He also comes with a set of posed hands (in a gripping position) and a set of bendable hands which can be used with the separate leather like gloves that he comes with (yeah good luck getting them on). I kind of like the idea of the bendable hands but the thumbs always let them down. Still its a nice quirk that I've come to expect from DID.


I took the below picture to highlight how small his items actually are. I decided a 1 pence piece would help show this, sorry to any non-British that have no idea how small a 1 pence piece is (19mm in diameter).


OVERALL: *****
Ha another 5 star figure as far as I'm concerned. He costs less than the usual Hot Toys or Medicom and in many ways is of higher quality. Yes there is the Nazi element that might put people off (though I suspect the controversy will help the rarity of this item) but as I said earlier, all you have to do is remove some very small items from this figure to strip him of any unwanted references. My only wish is that DID would apply this much love and attention to some other more accessible characters.
Keep scrolling down for lots more pictures.










Bit of a "Schindlers List" inspired picture to end it :) hope you enjoyed the review.


4 comments:

  1. Cool review....I love this figure too! Unfortunately I had to let them German figures pass by....picked up the Allied forces instead...LOL! DID is way under rated...give em some years and they'll catch up with HT for sure.

    Btw, love your 2nd to last picture.....really 'movie-poster'-like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man, I know what you mean about skipping the German figures though, I really am going to limit how many Nazi's are amongst my collection haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great review. I'm totally buying one to add to my Sideshow Indiana Jones stuff. One quick question: did it come with a hat? I think I've seen it pictured elsewhere with a hat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi mate, thanks for taking the time to read it. He does indeed come with a hat, but I'll tell you now, it's horrible haha. It's sculpted rather than fabric and its huge! totally out of scale with the figure tsk/

    ReplyDelete